Remote work is not just about working from home, or whenever and wherever you want. Remote work is more than that and we believe there is a lot of potential in this kind of work set-up.
For us, remote work means all of the following:
- making it easier to integrate your personal life
- collaborating with colleagues from around the world
- being more present for your family
- having appropriate tools at hand
- being able to receive deliveries at home
- requiring great and empathic leadership
- going for a walk with your dog during lunch break
- proactively reaching out to your teammates
- bringing a remote mindset to the table
- taking your kids to school without time pressure
- requiring excellent communication skills
- having remote coffee dates with your fellow Fretellians
- jumping on ad hoc calls for vivid discussions
- meeting your teammates in person at least twice a year
- updating each other on a regular basis
- squeezing in a quick midday workout
- having regular remote team-building activities and workshops
- being self-responsible and disciplined
- transparently setting ambitious goals
- sharing food images with the team
- and much more
Some of these points might sound funny, but we are dead serious :D.
We all appreciate the flexibility our lives get through the option of working remotely and the great talents and purpose we can work for and with regardless of our location.
WHAT WE THINK IS NEEDED
Of course, you need a proper setup for remote work to be successful. There are a bunch of tools that we use on a daily basis that ease our communication, collaboration, and documentation.
And yes, we are well aware that virtual contact doesn't substitute physical contact, but we're getting quite close. Every single Fretellian is making deliberate efforts to socialize remotely via coffee dates, remote joint workouts, after-work drinks, and games. Still, we think it's important to meet each other in person. For this very reason, we get together twice a year and have onsite workshops and social activities to facilitate relationship-building and ultimately our way of working together as a remote-first team.
This picture was created during one of our remote team-building workshops. As you can see - we are quite flexible ;)